Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gary:
It was five years ago this morning when I got the awful news so even though July 21st is the horrible date, I think of the 21st as my last day of ignorant bliss.

A few weeks ago it was the TWENTIETH anniversay of Tiannamen (spelling? who gives a f) Square. I recall how we watched that incident in the hotel the night before going to PLC-Srs and we didn't give a shit about anything in China that's for sure. Twenty years man, can you believe it? Remember that Staff Sergeant Instructor who said to you, "Candidate, you got no lack of discipline!" and like the smart ass you are you said, "Thank you, Sergeant Instructor!"

I talked to your mom Monday night and was in a much better mood after that, strangely enough considering everything. I remember how full of life you were even in your darkest days, always doing stuff and never letting situations get the best of you. You were always in charge of yourself, even when everything around you might have been chaotic. I try to remember that example you set and apply it. It's not easy.

Anyway, not much going on here in New York, except that we have two puppies now and they take all our time. You would love them both, I remember how upset you when my little dachshund Rocky would get the best of your Gomez. Well these littls guys are FIERCE. Too fearless actually, they think Dobermans and Rottweilers are their equals. The girl is a total slut too, she concerns me. Don't see how people have kids I would be a basketcase.

Here are some pics:



















Whatever advance party you're on for the rest of us, I hope you get everything squared away before we get there, don't f it up, okay? Yoo know me, I don't want much, just a beachfront villa and five-star restaurants.

I miss you and it doesn't get any easier. Whatever fool said "Time heals all wounds" never had a real wound, that's for sure.

All our love
Rich

4 comments:

Chris Parker said...

To Gary's family and friends,

May God continue to bless you and keep you in his heart. Gary died doing what he was destined to do. Defend the country he loved. There are no nor will there evr be any greater hero'es. I for one can only express love and appriciation for a man, even if I did not know him personally, who helped give me the gifts in my life, the most important being my freedom.

brothercasey said...

It is foolish to say that time will take away what is left when someone leaves us. There is always an emptiness that remains. That is how you know that you have known a truly wonderful person. Yes, it hurts, but by hurting we are reminded that we are still living, and still capable of feeling love, joy, and all the other wonderful emotions we have the ability to share with the world and each other. It may not sound like it, but it is an anwesome gift to be able to love so deeply and hurt so badly. Gary will always be loved and missed by those who knew him. I was not fortunate enough to know him, yet through Rich's writing, a part of him was shared with me, thus his memory lives on in another person. And that is a gift thats worth is truly immeasurable. Peace to all of us.

Anonymous said...

I’m always slow to hear news it seems. Sorry to hear of your loss so long after the event. Gary was one of the bright spots of my short Marine Corps career. I remember many great times with Gary while at Quantico. Whether it was hanging tough during the “Nine Day War” , hacking at golf balls in South Carolina, hitting the surf at Virginia Beach or just shooting the breeze, Gary was a great guy to be around.



Semper Fi,



Patrick Gallagher

Unknown said...

I can't begin to tell you all how much it means to read your comments.
Five years sounds like a long time, but there are times when it is but a moment, and the the pain is so strong.
Things change as the years go by, you don't feel like you can talk about the loss, because most people don't want to be reminded about such sadness, although in my heart the hurt is every bit as strong. So when i read all your messages about Gary, telling me that you all do remember, it means more to me than you will ever know.
I miss my Son so much.
Thank you for continuing to care,

Gary's Mum,